About Us
History & Traditions

School History

Millbrook School in Millbrook, NY was founded by Edward Pulling, a man who the students appropriately nicknamed “The Boss,” as only a bold and fearless man would attempt to begin an independent school in the midst of our country’s toughest economic era. In 1931, Mr. Pulling and his wife Lucy purchased the land on Stephenson Farm and, with the help of other great benefactors and visionaries, including the Flaglers and Leffingwells, began building a school that would satisfy their dream of developing intelligent, socially responsible young adults.

The original large farmhouse on the school’s property has served as the headmaster’s home. Named “Pulling House” after its most important tenant, the farmhouse was the center of student life in the 1930s and 40s, and it still remains a central location where current Headmaster Drew Casertano gathers both students and faculty on a regular basis. One of Millbrook’s greatest traditions falls on Thursday nights in the Pulling living room, where Mr. Casertano reads aloud to III formers—just as Mr. Pulling did over eighty years ago.

Though Millbrook School today has several more state-of-the-art buildings and many more acres of sweeping farm landscape, the core of Pulling’s vision remains the same. The school’s motto, “Non Sibi Sed Cunctis” (not for oneself but for all), encapsulates the true spirit of Millbrook. Students and faculty alike strive not only to better themselves intellectually and emotionally, but also to give back to the community through stewardship and service.

Millbrook School is committed to maintaining the literal and figurative foundation built by the visionaries of 1930s. In the library hangs a portrait of Mr. Harry Flagler, the first Chairman of the Board of Trustees and generous friend and benefactor of the school. Below his portrait reads the inscription, “Si monumentum requires, circumspice,” which translates—“if you need a monument to this person, just look around.” Eighty-five years after its inception, Millbrook School continues to pay homage to those who selflessly gave much of themselves to make Millbrook, Millbrook.
Millbrook's student newspaper, The Silo, was first published in December of 1932 and continues to be published by students today. Henry R. Hayes '35 was one of the founding editors and designed the masthead that continues to grace the front page current Silo issues. 

The Silo issues below provide an abundance of historical context for Millbrook School. Click on any link to download and enjoy!

The Silo Archives

The Silo - 2000-2009